Friday, June 11, 2010

SLO to Ma's House - Day Six

We stopped in Solvang on the way down to Mom's house. We parked close enough where we were able to explore at the Santa Inez Mission too. Here's John and some of the original Mission.

John wouldn't pose for me anymore, so I posed Riley. I like that she can't get away yet!



There, I got a cute one of John!

One of the buildings had a time line of Danish Monarchy. John liked reading all the names.
Gotta get a picture in front of a windmill while we're here!

We lucked out and got 2!

Yummy! Aebelskivers! They were super good! The sign said world famous, so I had to try it! The funny part was Riley hated them and John loved them! Who would have thought?! I was just glad I only had to share with John ;) HMMM, I wish I had some right now!

I was a little disappointed though, there was all this talk of Vikings, but I didn't see Eric or any Eric look alikes... maybe I should have stayed until nighttime... (And I'm talking about True Blood in case you were a little confused)
There was an outdoor stage and John had fun performing for us while we ate lunch. It was a great, grassy, shady place to relax. I don't think any of us wanted to get back in the car!


John loves putting glasses on upside down!

So this was the scary part of the trip, the only hiccup. Right after we packed up and were loaded in the car, I remembered that I hadn't seen my nice Nikon camera all day. I asked Louis about it and he didn't remember seeing it either. We pulled over and looked through all our things, no camera! I knew we had it in SLO, so with shaking hands, I called the Sands Inn where we'd stayed. I know I rambled my story to him, but I was so afraid that he would tell me they didn't know what I was talking about. Ahh, Thanks goodness! He told me that housekeeping had found the camera and it was at the front desk!!! I couldn't believe it! Relief isn't a strong enough word! Not only is it my precious camera, but also a lot of our trip pictures were on it!! He shipped it down to our house, since we were too far away to go back for it at that point. I feel like I really have to pay this one forward. I must have had some good karma points saved up for that one! So if anyone stays in SLO, stay in the Sands Inn!
John started writing messages to Riley as the trip went on...
This one says "Dear Riley SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Love, John"
You can tell we're in LA. We good traffic until we were outside of Calabasas. Then we were stop and go all the way to HB. The kids were great and Riley has even learned to sleep through stop and go traffic a little bit. We came in on a Friday, so it was expected, but WOW! LA gets some TRAFFIC!

We had a wonderful trip. It was filled with so many great memories. Mia had fun with Eric, Laura and the pug pack. Things went perfectly! We had a great evening with Mom and Al. When we got there we were happy but tired. After a night of a home cooked meal of veggie lasagna, grandparents to watch the kids and a morning to sleep in, Louis and I were sad the trip was over. We had to remind ourselves that staying at mom's helped rejuvenate us :) It was a wonderful first family trip for our family of four. We can't wait for the next one.... the Sierras with the Cullumbers in July!

1 comment:

Missi said...

What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing-I really enjoyed your pics. And what beautiful weather. Next time, you will have to stop for a night in Cambria. (between Monterrey and SLO)-we stay in this little hotel at the end of hte beach with a 3 par golf course, shuffle board, etc-the best part is going out on the rocks and exploring the tide pools.